Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Eating for Blood Type


Several years ago I read Eat Right 4 Your Type, by Peter D'Adamo. It was a revelation both the story and the science behind the book . The premise that some foods act as medicine and some as poison is intuitively obvious to most of us. However, the tie in to blood type is ingenious, as is the sleuthing that led to the discovery.

I was already attracted to many of the foods for blood type A+. But the grains that really help my body are allegedly, buckwheat and amaranth. Huh? All the rest are neutral, so they are okay. But if I eat the things that act like medicine, that is supposedly the upgrade. Buckwheat I once used as a cover crop when I used to garden on a large scale. Amaranth is a family that includes an extremely weird looking flower, called Love Lies Bleeding, and does look somewhat gory.

Long story short, this week my breakfasts included both buckwheat and amaranth and it was a decidedly different experience from eating other things. Hard to put into words, but eating buckwheat was like eating air. It was both light and filling. I prepared it by sprouting it, drying it, roasting it, then boiling it in water. Talk about good. Then the amaranth I just boiled on the stove. With a little sweetener, nuts and raisins, it was a great start to the day.

So you might want to check this out. Whether the foods on the list just give your body a total vacation by digesting themselves or whether they are doing something sneaky and wonderful inside, who knows. For me it feels like a rest.

Meat is not medicine for blood type A. We must be the veggie blood type. Whereas Type O's who forgo meat often suffer. But in case I indulge, I have HCl pills that make short work of a mess of ribs or a hot dog. There is no blood type that can boast hot dogs as medicine. Dream on!

No comments:

Post a Comment